Sunday, March 15, 2009

It's the home of police who kill black boys on mopeds

Lately, it seems life has tried to cast a very dark cloud over our lives.  Not necessarily mine, although a recent trip home seemingly worked hard to stamp out any last smoldering ash of optimism in my life, but over everyone.  It's miserably cliche to recite the laundry list of shit going on in the world right now, but it seems like the world is coming apart at the seams.  

Personally, I had to put my dog to sleep after he developed some weird neurocies.  I came home to find out that not only was our house for sale, but that my parents were short selling it to pay back various debts.  We were served with court papers twice in the same week for various shit dealing with the house (almost entirely due to this miserable recession).  And, to top it all off...MY DAD HAS A FUCKING FACEBOOK.  WHO DECIDED TO KILL FUN ON THE INTERNET FOR ME?  SHEESH LIFE IS SO HARD!

In general, it just seems like everyone is losing their minds.  People are worried about getting married at 20 and everyone seems to be running around like they are in the ocean covered in chum.  Everyone is staying in on Friday and Saturday nights to study and worry about what's coming after college.  Everyone seems to be panicking like college is going to be the most make or break part of their life; like whoever they are currently dating has to fit into the mold of a perfect partner because oh my god that is the ONE and god fucking forbid a relationship fails ever.  Everyone is freaking out like it's the end of the world, and to be honest, I'm not exactly the most collected person either.  

But the more and more I think about it, the more I know that in the end, we'll all be okay.  We're going to make it through the shit, just like everyone made it through before.  Maybe it will be a bit of a humbling lesson to everyone.  And hopefully, more than anything, it will be a lesson that there are much worse things in the world then having to kill a dead end relationship, or getting a C in some class from a third tier state university.  

And in the end, we'll all be okay.

2 comments:

Chantalle said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
revolutionaire. said...

Chantalle Johnson makes a great point about Christian kids just wanting to have sex so they get married. It happens, I've seen it.

I enjoyed this post, sure. But, Joe, I'm sorry about your dog. And the house. And all the shit. I know what you mean about the world and it's seams. I've been feeling a little this way myself. Some days it's harder to find the silver lining than others, but I still look.

For instance, I'm keeping my eyes on the prize -- in three weeks I'm going to see Against Me! in Gainesville for $10. WOOOOO!

Miss your posts & miss the Fest.