Tuesday, January 6, 2009

I'm dying to tell you

So thanks for anyone that took the time to read my last blog. I appreciate the feedback I did get about it, but it was a bit too much to respond to individually. However, one comment by some anonymous person did really necessitate an answer, as I don't want people to assume things that aren't necessarily true.

The comment was as follows, verbatim: "so i assume that you dont want anyone to share your hijinks with, you dont want anyone to accompany you on this journey you call your life?
not now, not ever?"

Valid point, as I do seem pretty adamantly anti-relationship in my writing. I thought I had made it clear that it was really juvenile people trying to masquerade as adults that I had a problem with. My main focus was supposed to be about how I don't think that romantic relationships are necessary or helpful with fostering growth during the teens and twenties of one's life. The world just begins to present itself to you at those ages, and I don't think that having a spouse or a highly committed partner helps to foster the exploration of everything the world has to offer.

However, I did also make sure to include the fact that I'm not opposed to relationships at all. In fact, I think a good relationship is a great thing to have, but I don't feel like it's necessary to actively seek a relationship just for the sake of being romantically occupied. In fact, I think that is exceedingly unhealthy and can lead to a lot of problems later on in life. So many people in my generation seem to base their happiness on whether or not they are in a relationship, and frankly, it's a little sad. I mean granted, maybe I'm just coming out of left field. It's true that I haven't been in a relationship for well over two years now and maybe this is just some sort of subconscious contempt towards the idea, especially with how limiting my ex was. But that's another story for a different blog and another day entirely.

Now to state outright that I wouldn't consider a relationship right now would be completely presumptuous and asinine on my part. Of course, I'd be retarded to not consider the possibility for a relationship that seemed as if it would have a more positive impact on my life. Hell, I can think of a person or maybe two who I would love to see something develop beyond friendship. But the fact of the matter is that neither of these people look like they hold enough of an interest to actively pursue anymore, and that is just the way things happen sometimes. It's life, and I'll worry about more important things that I can control right now.

And as for the future, who am I to predict what happens next? Hell, in the next 24 hours, I could meet the woman of my dreams, or die in a fiery car accident. Only time can tell what lies ahead, which is why I tried to actively avoid saying that I didn't want to get married or anything like that. I don't know if I could ever see myself getting married, but if these first twenty years have taught me anything, it is to expect the unexpected. One day you could be gainfully employed and enjoying a break from school, and the next day you could be holed up in a hospital, facing two solid months of rehab. I try not to live too far ahead of myself at any point, and I hope this came across in the previous post. I've learned to take things each day at a time, and just hope to be able to be satisfied with the footprint I've left on the world when I'm gone.

cumshots and broken hearts,

-Joe

2 comments:

Matt Leinart's Beerbong said...

Now I see why Hindu's have arranged marriages!

revolutionaire. said...

"Hell, in the next 24 hours, I could meet the woman of my dreams, or die in a fiery car accident."

-- or Hell, even both!

I get what you're saying and actually agree 100%. You've got a good head on your shoulders.

You're the kind of guy who, when he's older and wiser (yes, you'll get wiser ;)), is going to find the perfect woman at the perfect point in his life and live out the perfect dream for himself and her because he didn't spend his youth searching for something that didn't exist at the time.

At 20-years-old, there's no sense looking for the person who is the cheese to your macaroni or the crackers to your soup -- because at twenty years old, you don't know whether you'll be macaroni or soup.

And who would ever want crackers to their macaroni?